Friday 27 April 2007

Radiotherapy - Week 1

Two words sum up this week.................bored shitless!!!
No internet (so no blogging) for a week as there was no suitable connection available in the hotel.
Arrived at the New Beatson Hospital on Monday - Treatment room H. This hospital is brand new and the equipment has been recently commissioned but still has a few teething problems as I was to find out later in the week. I was soon called into the treatment room which was more like the internals of the Enterprise - loads of impressively gleaming equipment, flashing lights, lasers and VDU's. Prostrate and shackled to to the bed via my mask the radiotherapy machine went about its business of buzzing then rotating and further buzzing. In less than two minutes I was done, no pain (no gain) or other sensations at all. The volunteer driver service turned up after a few minutes and whisked me into the city for my first of four nights in the Jury's Hotel. Apart from the occasional delay due to equipment faults, each day was much like the first and I whiled most of my days away window shopping. I have to admit to doing something that I swore I never would! I've been forced into shelling out for the largest pair of jeans I've ever bought - 38" waist - doh!!! I was just so fed up with my elasticated jogger bottoms (chav pants) that I've admitted defeat to my ever growing waistline. I still feel like I'm getting bigger even though I've hardly eaten this week (hotel food is grim) due to no appetite - although I had a one-off visit to KFC last night for a zinger after a rare trip to the cinema - Shooter, superb!!! But fear not dear reader for I am planning a new blog - Daz's battle against the bulge. Two more radiotherapy groundhog weeks to go, then the new Battle will start - drop 4 stone in 52 weeks - easy, easy!!
Back to the therapy. Starting to suffer the sore throat they warned me about, getting worse each day, also after day 2 I developed a sore swelling on the zap site just below my ear which went away overnight. Apart from that, nothing else to report although I'm getting a tan on one side of my face! Now washing with baby soap and shampoo until further notice - Doc's orders.
Back home Friday afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope all goes well this week. Have you got a DS yet to relieve the boredom?

Vickyx

Anonymous said...

A DS would of been great when I was going through treatment. Anyways, I have a DS now and it is a great way to get unbored. My wife and I were playing Mario Cart Lastnight. I was such a fun game.