Wednesday 4 April 2007

auf wiedersehen PET

It's a long way to go for a couple of hours in hospital but it might be one of the most important things I do in my life, so yesterday I was up to Aberdeen for my much vaunted PET scan. Took the first ferry, just made all the connections and arrived 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I was soon taken into the ward and shown into a small room where they administered a radioactive tracer via an injection into my arm. I was told to lie still for 1 hour while the stuff did its thing. 1 hour later I was strapped into the only PET scanner in Scotland and told to not move a muscle for 45 minutes (its harder than you think!). The table on which I was strapped moved in and out of the giant donut ('mmm donuts') and 45 minutes later I was done to a tee and sent on my way. Results should be with my consultant next week.
Because I had been fasting since the previous night, I was absolutely starvin', so I was soon sailin' down the Yangtze River for half an aromatic crispy duck followed by the always superb honey chilli chicken - all to mesel'. Later lying in the hotel like a beached whale full of regret because I couldn't get to sleep as I'd over-eaten.............again!
Went down the office today to give company doctor the full SP (Starting Price - its not a disease). Bumped into a couple of familiar faces, felt quite reassured to see I was not the only fat b******d down there!!
Back home on the 1515 boat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Like a beached whale full of regret..."

Could be the start of a poem!

Losing a bit of weight will be a walk in the park after this, - just think of all that healthy food.
(Mmm - Lettuce...)

Julia, Ken and Sophie
xxx