Sunday 28 January 2007

Wait 'til you hear this 'un........

This cancer malarky has just turned up another issue that I'm gonna have to get used to, aching bones!!! Had a blood test on Thursday and I'm due another this Tuesday - two days before my next chemo. The nasties that are in the chemo drugs attack rapidly dividing cells like tumours but also hair follicles (thats why your hair falls out), nails, mouth linings etc. But more seriously, they attack your white blood cells. Bad news for you but good news for infectious bacteria as there aren't enough white cells to fight 'em. More info here. Hence the frequent blood tests to count the white cells. If the white cell count is low you get an injection of a very expensive drug to stimulate the bone marrow to produce many more cells. The side effect of this drug is that the marrow produces far more cells than the bone can handle and your bones begin to swell. I've read this this can range from a dull ache to crippling agony!!! Me being a badass geordie will obviously feel nowt, just spare a though for the rest! Might get the injection on Wednesday if the counts are low, will probably be injecting myself several times per week in later months - champion!!

Tried to clip a nice taper on the back of my heed this morning which resulted in the guard falling off and gouging a trough just above my left ear. So I'm now down to a No.1 all over, lugs are stickin' oot like Plug's.

2 comments:

David Hall said...

do they attack infectious bacterial trouser coughs before my visit next week?

Anonymous said...

Don't know if anybody else has sent you this - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=nickdonnelly

There's 18 wee videos of TinTin dubbed into Smoggie. The cause of much hilarity out here!

Don