Thursday 11 January 2007

Crosshoose - day 2 - edited

Tossed and turned all night, lots of strange sounds - Snoring, farting, nurses stealing my newspaper, chemo pump bleeping etc. Rudely woken up at 0730 by a nurse demanding more blood - what do they want with it all, I'm sure they're giving it to someone who needs it more!

Later, they wheeled an old boy into the ward who looked a bit rough, he was light green in colour. I overheard the Haemo telling him they needed blood and bone marrow samples - woohoo! Said later that he had only 10% of the usual red platelets, the rest was Creme de Menthe!

Lay on my scratcher watching daytime TV until 1500, where I had to consume 4 large glasses of thick white fluid, a bit like drinking snot, if you can imagine such a thing. This was in preparation for my CT scan (computerised tomography). Another porter arrived and I was again bogey'd around the wards eventually ending up in X-ray. Into the CT room I was hooked up to an auto-injection system and laid out beneath giant giant donut. The injection went in (100 mls - which is huge) and I immediately got a hot flush and felt like I'd wet myself. The scanner did the business of spinning and scanning as the platform I was lying on slid in and out of the donut. Scan complete, I was trolley'd back to the ward with a killer headache.

Tea time soon, then in for an early night, hopefully home tomorrow, ferries permitting.

The bloke in the next bed doesn't seem as doolally as yesterday, the green fella is not quite as green as he's now hooked up to some blood infusion gear and Royston is entertaining us with his made up war stories! Did I mention he had a wonky eye, every time I think he's talking to me, he's actually talking to someone else and vice-versa. It just get better and better here!

Nighty night yaw'll.......................

5 comments:

Andy hall said...

Darren-

Royston sounds like trip! What were they scanning in the donut? I had that done about a year ago for my lower pipes and I remember the sensation and flushing right away!

Hope you are doing well and getting plenty of grapes doon yi!

Love you tons mate!

AVLS said...

Can you bring Royston back to the pub. Ideal match for Neil who would sit enthralled by the stories.
Best of luck Mate (pathfinder)
Marvin

Ken said...

Hi Darren,

Sophie said she'll bake you a cake and hide a file in it to help you escape from Royston...
And did you remember to tell the doctor your religion was 'English'...?
Or did you put Jedi?
(nerd)

Gan canny with the flatulence, - think of your farmers...
We're honing up our Scrabble skills for the grand final.
(candlelight permitting)

Ken Julia and Sophie (the girl)
x

Julia said...

Don't know why Ken's giving you advice on wind...
It was 75MPH last night - and that was in the house.

Julia,
Ken (my performance is odourless)
Sophie
xxx

David Hall said...

Cerys says 'Go Pumper Darren'.

Speak soon Bro

xxx