Friday 2 February 2007

Pelvis has left the building......

This entry should have been entitled Chemo #2 but certain anomalies have conspired to delay the chemo by atleast 1 day. Gave a pre-chemo blood test on Tuesday, the result on Wednsday indicated that I was borderline Chemo as my blood count was 0.9. They will only administer when the count is above 1.0. They said I should turn up as usual for my chemo on Thursday as the count would probably be OK by then. Thursday came and I was once again whisked up to Crosshouse by my brother David who was making his way back to the North East after a couple of days in the island. Once on the ward I gave more blood to check the counts. The results were not good. Blood count was still falling and now down to 0.5. They would give me a jab of Neupogen (White cell growth factor) to accelarate cell production and keep me in overnight so I wouldn't have to travel back to Arran then back again on Friday. However, Neil volunteered to put me up for the night and I was soon picked up and given a whirl-wind tour of Irvine (I'm still tempted matey! - heh-heh). A bit of TV and some Big Brain Academy on the Nintendo DS (I'm gonna get one) then I was ready for my scratcher.

I was awoken at 3am by the most horrendous pain in the arse. No, not Neil wanting some company as he's still coming off nighshift and not satans cannonball either, trying to make an impromptu exit. The Neupogen had kicked in big time and the marrow in my pelvis was working the late shift producing millions of white blood cells. My bones were actually swelling and my Pelvis felt like it might explode. (Stop me if think I'm going overboard with the agony). Felt like I had my arse booted several times around the block by a pair of size 12's! On a scale of 1 to10 (10 being 'please kill me now'), I'd say it was a good 7, with lightening bolts of 10 shooting up my spine every few seconds which made me twitch - deep joy. So I lay there with a face contorted like an RPE chewing a wasp and twitching like a tiffie holding 24 Volts!! No matter how I lay, the pain seemed to get worse, I suffered for an hour before getting up to surf the kitchen for pain killers. Two paracetamol did the trick and the pain had all but gone within 30 minutes. A couple more hours of kip then back up to Crosshouse for more blood tests and hopefully Chemo #2.

No comments: